39 Lessons I learned before I turned 40
Beautiful ones….. I did it!!!
I have written 39 of the lessons that I have learned on my journey to being 39 and counting! While there are a few other posts on the topic sitting on my computer which I may post from time to time, (and I came up with a real doozy in the car yesterday!) I am going to take stock of what I have done so far, as well as do one of those summary posts that I see popping up all over the place – 39 lessons I learned on my journey to being 40 (or some such title). This allows me to give lesson number 40 which I have learned time and time again. Sometimes I have heard something a thousand times, and only really truly grasp it on the thousand and one-th time. For this reason - some things bear repeating.
And to those who weren’t able to (or interested in) reading the individual posts, you may find this one a little more digestible.
1. There is beauty in imperfection – and there is much to be learned from our mistakes. In fact, sometimes we can learn more from our mistakes than from a perfect outcome.
2. Never say “I already knew that” – we may be able to get fresh insight from old knowledge if we aren’t so convinced that we know it already.
3. Everyone can add value – even those people we don’t like! If we step back and take a look, we may find that a person’s biggest weakness can also be their biggest strength.
4. Houses are meant to be lived in, shoes are meant to be worn, life is meant to be lived. These things will crumble if they are not allowed to do what they are designed to do.
5. Things fall apart – and so do people. Take the time to develop good self care habits.
6. The more we know, the more we realise we need to learn.
7. If you want to make improvements – find a coach! It is a useful way to work with someone to bring out the best in yourself.
8. Only we can define what meaning and purpose lie in the labels we give ourselves and others. Be open minded when you meet someone and they might surprise you.
9. We are spiritual creatures having a human experience. Do not ignore your spiritual side.
10. Nephews are the best!!!!! (If you want more insight into this one, you will need to read lesson 10).
11. Sometimes the fear will not go away, and you are going to just have to do it afraid.
12. Different cultures have different ways of extending welcome, or showing love. Remember this when you move to a new place and look for it – and you may feel less lonely and homesick.
13. Your thoughts are valid. Your opinions matter.
14. Never name a baked good or cooked item until it is done.
15. Icing hides a multitude of sins.
16. Be grateful. Write down the things you are grateful for. It will change your life.
17. It is never too late to start again.
18. Be generous. This too will change your life.
19. Dress for the job you want.
20. Surround yourself with good people. This will bring a great deal of harmony to your life.
21. Remember that you will always judge the outcome on your expectations. If you stick too slavishly to your expectations, you might become so blinded by them that you don’t realise when you have ended up with something far better.
22. Clouds make the best sunsets.
23. Speak your truth. This too will change your life.
24. It really does take a village to raise a child.
25. Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good. Don’t let your quest for perfection prevent you from producing something good. What is done is better than something that is perfect (but still in your head)
26. Never say never.
27. We often overestimate what we can achieve in 1-2 weeks and underestimate what we can achieve in 1 year, or in 5.
28. Evidence will always be limited by the tools we use to measure. Just because we cannot measure something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
29. Food made with love tastes better.
30. Don’t throw good money after bad.
31. A body in motion will remain in motion. Get moving!!
32. Creativity can improve all areas of our lives! Sing! Dance! Crochet! Write! Paint!
34. Our lives are the sum of the choices we make. We have the power of choice.
35. Listen to your gut.
36. Dream big!
37. You are never too old for a first time.
38. Growth is indeed found outside or comfort zone.
39. Laughter is the best medicine.
40. And sometimes, things need to be repeated several times before we can grasp it, and this often only happens when we are truly ready to hear the message.
See you soon with more posts and big love from a small island!
Ps above is another one of my favourite spots on this small island - Codrington College